Monday, April 16, 2012

Gardening and Lemonade, A Perfect Recipe |

Being unable to access the internet was terrible. It did give me time to get outside and let the kid’s start their own garden. They are tons of fun on a regular basis but they are double fun with dirt under their nails. My 8 year old has taken a lot of pictures but I think he really outdid himself this time.

This is how you truly make something out of a Monday!

First we needed to pick out a nice unsuspecting piece of grass and dirt. I think this one will do just fine.

Remove all of the grass or as much as you can without passing out!

We had TD#2 clear away a lot of the honey suckles but I think she got a bit bored.

I think our dirt is full of concrete from the 70′s. Because our dirt is not great, we mix it with Miracle Gro Garden Soil. This method seems to work for my area. Check out my smaller garden as proof.

Now back to the children’s garden. . . .

We love water from underground so they decided an investment in a soaker hose would be nice!

After a quick burial of the soaker hose and spreading of the miracle grow, it’s time to start planting. The seeds above are melon seeds. These are really sweet melons but no one knows the name of the melon lol!

These are okra seed and a must have in my garden.

My daughter wanted to plant a grape vine and some strawberries so of course we had to toss some of those in as well!

Voila, it’s in!

My daughter tossed in a few strawberries and brought the soaker hose to the surface due to the need for lots of water. I can’t wait to see how her strawberries come out. She didn’t take my advice on how to plant those lol! Since I was not needed, I decided to find something else to do.

It wasn’t all fun and games. I created a little drink for my farmers!

To create this lemonade you will need 3 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water in a sauce pan on medium heat.

Cook this sugar and water until it turns into a clear syrup.

Pour this into your serving pitcher.

To this syrup, add 3 cups of lemon juice. Fresh squeezed lemon juice is ideal but d0n’t worry if all you have is the lemon juice you buy at the store.

To this base, add 8 cups of water, stir, and SERVE!

Once I was done, I checked in on the finished garden!

We need to create some better signs with popsicle sticks but I think it was a great success. Even the butterflies seem to think we did a good job!

I told you TD#4 (the 8yr old) outdid himself today!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment